Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Some Heavy Issues

My first year of college is officially over, so I have been enjoying some time off this past week! I've had a lot on my mind recently though. There have been so many global disasters, such as the tornadoes in North Carolina and, more recently, the earthquake in China. It seems as if these natural disasters keep hitting all at once. I have been solemnly reminded more and more how man is NOT in control of what happens, and that God is ultimately over everything. Isn't it comforting to know that even when unexplainable, horrific events occur, we Christians can turn to the Lord in our time of distress? I am praying that the people who have been affected by these tragedies will also "lift their eyes unto the hills".

Over the past week I've also been saddened by the loss of a dear friend's correspondence. Her name is Christy, a Filipino young lady a year younger than me, and my family has sponsored her through
Compassion Ministries. In a way, I've grown up with Christy. I wrote her letters, and she always wrote back. During the last few months, her family life has been in turmoil- her mother left the family, and we learned that Christy stopped attending the program. Her counselors claimed that she began to show "lack of interest", so they made the sad decision to pull Christy out of Compassion. My heart has been so heavy for her. She must be going through much pain right now since her family is broken. There's no doubt in my mind that more responsiblity has fallen on her, which could be a huge reason why she stopped attending the program. Throughout our letters, I always felt that Christy was a very spiritual young lady who truly sought after the Lord, so I'm praying that if she truly is a child of God, that her faith will stay strong. Please pray for Christy- she has been such a dear friend to me, and I will greatly miss her sweet, innocent letters. She was always such a good reminder to me to not take my life in America for granted. We have so much while others have so little. So I am praying that wherever the Lord leads Christy, she will always stay true to Him and won't be swept away in family issues and discouragement. Won't you join me?



For more information, please check out Compassion's website on the side of my blog.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

I often feel like I lose some perspective of the world living in America, and sadly it takes a lot to gain that perspective back. For girls like Christy, their lives are so much harder than mine. I do pray that she will be okay, and that she will remain faithful to Him no matter what situation she is in.

In Christ,

P.S. congratulations on completing your first year of college! very exciting!!!

Beverly said...

What a thoughtful and true post. Thank you for your reminders. We have so much to be thankful for, yet we wallow in our "little issues" -- don't we?
I will pray for your friend. I do hope that one day you will be able to hear from Christy again.

Anonymous said...

oh wow sara, that's really sad that the organization doesn't include her anymore. maybe she'll keep writing to you even though she's not part of the organization. i'll pray for her though.